It’s about that time of year when it’s time to clean up your air conditioner and get it started up for the summer in Johnstown, Colorado. How can you know if it is time for a new AC? Your local HVAC comfort team, Ideal Comfort has a few quick tips to help you know if it is time for a new air conditioner and time to contact a professional.
Signs that it is time for a new ac
1. The air conditioner is more than 10 years old. In general, you can expect a well-maintained air conditioner to last about 15 years. However, if you’re in need of expensive repairs and your air conditioner is more than 10 years old, it will often make more sense to replace it. This is especially true when you consider the advancements in efficiency we’ve seen with air conditioners in the past decade alone.
2. Air conditioner is inefficient. If your air conditioner has a low SEER rating, it can cost you a lot of money to operate it. Currently, newly manufactured air conditioners must have a SEER rating of at least 13. If your air conditioner’s SEER rating is below 13, you can cut back on your energy costs by replacing it with a new, more efficient unit.
3. You’re facing expensive repairs. Any time you’re facing an expensive repair, you’ll want to weigh the costs of the repair against the costs of a new unit. If the cost of the repair would cover a large part of a new system, and especially if your air conditioner is showing any of the other signs in this list, it will likely make more financial sense to replace it.
4. Frequent breakdowns. Does it seem like your air conditioner is constantly breaking down? Are you calling Ideal Comfort Heating and Cooling in Johnstown, every month because of a new problem with your unit? These repair costs can really add up, and it doesn’t make sense to keep making them on older units. Save yourself the headaches and the money by investing in a new unit.
6. Your home isn’t comfortable. Do you have a hard time keeping your home cool? This could be the sign of an aging air conditioner or even an incorrectly sized system. Regardless of the cause, you want your air conditioner to do its job! If it’s not going to keep your home cool, you’ll want to replace it with a unit that will.
If you have any questions about when to replace your air conditioner, or if you’d like a cooling system serviced or installed in your home, contact Ideal Comfort HVAC, your Johnstown, Colorado air conditioner installation and repair company.